This week is the 35th Annual National Suicide Prevention Week.
- Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in the United States with one suicide occurring on average every 16 minutes.
- Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death among 15- to 24-years-olds.
- The elderly make up 12.4% of the population, but comprise 16% of all suicides.
- Approximately 811,000 Americans attempt suicide each year.
- One person completes suicide every 16 minutes.
- It is estimated that five million living Americans have attempted to kill themselves.
- Every year in the United States, more than 17,000 men and women kill themselves with a gun; two-thirds more than the number who use a gun to kill another person.
- In the U.S., 50% more people die by suicide than by homicide each year.
- An estimated 5 million Americans are survivors of the suicide of a friend, family member, or loved one.
American Association of Suicidology
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
National Institute of Mental Health
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Office of the Surgeon General/ National Strategy for Suicide Prevention