September 5 – 11, 2010
- Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in the United States with one suicide occurring on average every 15.2 minutes.
- Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death among 15- to 24-years-olds.
- The elderly make up 12.6% of the population, but comprise 15.7% of all suicides.
- Approximately 864,950 Americans attempt suicide each year.
- It is estimated that five million living Americans have attempted to kill themselves.
- Every year in the United States, more than 17,000 men and women kill themselves with a gun; two-thirds more than the number who use a gun to kill another person.
- An estimated 4.6 million Americans are survivors of the suicide of a friend, family member, or loved one.